To improve the frequency of updates about Achievements 3.0, I’m going to post updates at least twice a month. This is the early August update, so expect a follow-up sometime in late August.
After much research and testing, I have very reluctantly decided to not use the Web Notifications standard for displaying notifications for modern browsers because Chrome and Safari 6 have a number of inconsistencies in their implementations, and I don’t think the API is yet flexible enough to do what I want it to do (at least without spending a few weeks hacking at it, which is time I don’t have), so I’m now using a jQuery plugin called “noty”. Other things I got done:
- Bug fixes to the theme compatibility layer.
- Low-level API improvements.
- Started work on the Notifications feature.
- Started investigating a new website/host/theme for Achievements.
- Core logic
- Plugin extension API
- Plugin extensions
- User unlock counts, total points
- ‘Achievements’ and ‘Progress’ post type template loops
- Custom user capabilities
- Multisite support
- ‘Supported Plugins’ admin screen
- Theme compatibility layer (like this)
- User points editing via WordPress user profile
To Do Next
- Theme templates
- Build or buy new theme for website
To Do Later
- Leaderboard widget
- Notifications widget
- Further admin screen customisations
- ‘Achievements’ post type admin screens